Record of the year

Monday, November 2, 2009

Mariano Rivera


I'm not going to go into detail with stats and whatnot about how great he is.  I'm not going to write the opus that he deserves.  I doubt anyone really will, because he doesn't sell papers like some others do.  I do want to say that I hope somebody is planning on doing it very soon if not already.  I'd be happy to see a serious ESPN, NY Post, NY Times, etc., front page, long article about his career.  I don't personally need it though.  For a Yankee fan such as myself, Mariano Rivera is a joy that is so untouchable by all outside influences.  I don't really care what kind of attention or recognition he gets from other people.  I just know how I feel, and that is all I can tell you about.


It is not at all as if he doesn't get the credit he deserves.  He's widely acknowledged as the best closer of all time.  However, like Derek Jeter, we're not really focusing on how the last Yankee "dynasty" began over 10 years ago.  Mo is still just as clutch as he was then, if not more.  It's been six years since he's been on this stage, and when I see him out there in the 8th and 9th, it's as if this drought never happened.


The same pitches.  The same guy.  A few MPH slower, but just as little hair as he had coming up, and most importantly, still all the befuddled hitters.  It's just amazing.  I remember the beginning of the 2007 season when Marco Scutaro hit a walkoff HR off Mo, and we thought that might be the end.  Then he gave up nothing until well into the second half, and had quite possibly his best year ever.  This year just added to the lore.  I have been so excited to watch him pitch this post-season.  Of all of the Yankee stories happening right now, he is my favorite. 

I don't care very much about the Alex Rodriguez potential redemption.  I think the guy's an unfortunately insecure idiot who happens to be better at baseball than anyone else on earth.  I don't hate him.  I don't love him.  I feel some pity for him, but I mainly just do not care.  I get just as upset when he doesn't come through, and just as happy when he does, as I do any of the Yankees not named Jeter, Rivera, Posada or Pettitte.  The only story that rivals Mo is "Win it for The Boss," which is a guaranteed tearjerker come Monday night, or whenever they close it out.

Mariano though is the one who really makes me shiver.  Watching him come out of the 'pen and blow a whole new generation away makes me feel like a kid again.  Right, I'm 25, but I mean, it makes me feel like I did in 1996, and specifically 1998 when Rivera had settled into his role.  Seeing him close tonight out like that, we just had no doubt what was going to happen.  I don't really know what the words are.  It's not comfort in the familiarity, but that's certainly present.  The familiarity excites me though.  Perhaps it compares best to a marriage, something that at my age I can only relate to speculatively and by example of others.






















My parents have been married for a while.  Am I going to get sentimental here?  What do you think, I'm talking about baseball already--the most sentimental element of our culture, have you ever watched a baseball movie?--and now I'm bringing my parents in.  Come on.

I was the first born, a few years after they got married, and two years before my sister was born.  12 years into my life, they realized that they were still young, and pretty soon they wouldn't have little kids anymore, so they had my brother.  My parents love each other very much and they love being parents equally.  It's gross when they tell me I can't come on a trip with them because they want to have a "romantic" weekend, or when I see them kiss, but separating the obvious yuck factor, it's quite heart-warming.  Both of my grandparents are the same as well (except I've never seen them make out thankfully).  I have so many friends whose families are unfortunately nothing like this, which makes me appreciate what I have even more.  Going to games with my dad and my little brother now is so cool, because part of it is like being able to replay some of my happiest moments.

Mariano alone is just like having this added bonus of getting to watch my brother grow up. It's not just replaying those moments, but reliving them, and better, creating new ones all their own, which feel so great because I never expected to be have them.  Watching Mariano Rivera do what he does, is for me like, hopefully in 40 years, coming home to the same girl I've come home to so many times before, and loving her even more.  What's the Paul Simon (happens to be my dad's favorite artist, adding to the sentimentality, however, my reference stands alone as well) song?  "Still Crazy After All These Years."  That's like New York city's love affair with Mariano Rivera.

The old familiar still does it better than anyone else out there.  It's not like we love him because we're loyal, even though there's younger, fresher, better options out there.  No.  We love him because he is still the best.  He's actually the best closer in the game.  I don't mean the most clutch or experienced, which he undoubtedly is.  I mean the best.  There has been zero drop-off, even statistically.  He's still in his prime.  It's unimaginable.

Mariano Rivera is my World Series MVP without thinking twice.  I doubt he'll get it, and I know most of the talk will be about AJ, CC, Teix, A-Rod, and then of course the core four, Mo included.  I know Phillies and Red Sox fans will still trash talk no matter what happens.  I know people who aren't even interested in sports will try to take away from the Yankees' fans enjoyment by saying that for all that money you better win the World Series.

But tomorrow night (or Wednesday if Cliff Lee has something to say about it, which I wouldn't mind because then I'll be at Yankee Stadium with my dad, grandfather and brother to see Andy Pettitte, my dad's favorite Yankee potentially end his career with a World Series clinching win) when I watch Mo wrap up one for the thumb, and yes, I'm going to Philly to watch, I will feel the pride of watching a great friend achieving everything he ever could have set out to and more.  I cheer him with love and pleasure.  I hope everyone else watching appreciates the phenomenon they're witnessing, so they can enjoy it as I do, but even if they do not, I won't care, and nor will Rivera.  These are the kinds of pleasures that are entirely personal, need not recognition from others, and are completely immaculate, untouchable and unequivocal--perfect words to describe New York Yankees closer Mariano Rivera.

1 comment: